This monument is known as the Martyrs Memorial and was erected in 1910. We've had some help from Cliff Jones to identify the streets pictured here leading from the memorial. We now know that Quinton Road is the street disappearing off to the left, and Park Road is to the right, leading towards the Railway Station. Now, in 2006, the memorial is surrounded by junction 5 of the Ring Road.
Not only did Henry VIII have our monasteries destroyed, he also ordered that people were burned at the stake for having different beliefs or religions to himself. Some of those people were brought to Coventry for this, and this memorial is for us to remember those who gave their lives for their strong beliefs during Henry's and Queen Mary's reign.
Lychgate Cottages, Trinity Church & the old Campanile
Priory Row and the old Belfry