Galleries.... Old CoventryNow and thenStoke, CoventryLichfield CathedralMy Family
Steven's Coventry
Features.... Main page Quick quiz
Bayley Lane
Bishop Street & Hales Street corner
Bluecoat School
Broadgate viewed from Hertford Street
Broadgate viewed from Holy Trinity Church
Bullyard & Hertford Street
The Burges and Corporation Street
Council House Earl Street
Ford's Hospital and the Cottage
Hales Street and the Old Fire Station
Hales Street Flood of 1900
Hertford Street & the Empire Theatre
Lady Herbert's Garden and Cook Street Gate
Lychgate Cottages, Trinity Church & the old Campanile
Martyr's Memorial
Priory Row and the old Belfry
St. Michael's viewed from Bayley Lane
St. Michael's viewed from New Street
St. Michael's interior
Trinity Street & Timothy White's

Steven Orland's Coventry, Now & Then

Council House Earl Street



The Council House is not as old as it looks. It was built between 1913 and 1917, rather surprising considering it was during the Great War, and opened on the 11th June 1920 by the Duke of York who later became King George VI in 1936. This old photo was probably taken not long after it opened judging by the style of the cars.

The Council House in the 1920s and 2015

Please click here if you wish to see the photo's separately.

Previous page:
The Burges and Corporation Street
This page:
Council House Earl Street
Next page:
Ford's Hospital and the Cottage

Search this site:

Related sites....
Historic Coventry Discussion forum Our family history
Top of the page
Main page | Admin
164,778 people have seen this website since it was first created on 3rd September 2004

Counter provided by Rob Orland

HTML5