Galleries.... Old CoventryNow and thenStoke, CoventryLichfield CathedralMy Family
Steven's Coventry
Features.... Main page Quick quiz
Bayley Lane
Bishop Street & Hales Street corner
Bluecoat School
Broadgate viewed from Hertford Street
Broadgate viewed from Holy Trinity Church
Bullyard & Hertford Street
The Burges and Corporation Street
Council House Earl Street
Ford's Hospital and the Cottage
Hales Street and the Old Fire Station
Hales Street Flood of 1900
Hertford Street & the Empire Theatre
Lady Herbert's Garden and Cook Street Gate
Lychgate Cottages, Trinity Church & the old Campanile
Martyr's Memorial
Priory Row and the old Belfry
St. Michael's viewed from Bayley Lane
St. Michael's viewed from New Street
St. Michael's interior
Trinity Street & Timothy White's

Steven Orland's Coventry, Now & Then

Bayley Lane



Just outside the Old Cathedral is Bayley Lane. This street has been around since early medieval times and was once next to the castle.
Bayley Lane c1900
Steven's Photo of Bayley Lane 2005
The postcard in the first picture above was from about 1900 and as you can see, it looks the same today with the cottage at number 22 and St. Mary's Guildhall next door. The only difference is that the glass is now missing from the cathedral windows!


In between the Guildhall and number 22 Bayley Lane (as mentioned above) used to stand these stocks, shown on the left around 1919. Many thieves and mischief makers would have once been locked into these as a punishment.
The Stocks in Bayley Lane 1919 Steven's Photo of where the Stocks in Bayley Lane used to stand
The stocks are no longer there, but there is still a set quite near to where I live - next to the Bull's Head Pub on the Binley Road.

 This page:
Bayley Lane
Next page:
Bishop Street & Hales Street corner

Search this site:

Related sites....
Historic Coventry Discussion forum Our family history
Top of the page
Main page | Admin
164,778 people have seen this website since it was first created on 3rd September 2004

Counter provided by Rob Orland

HTML5